Underlayment grants a thin layer between finished and subfloor, and it helps in controlling moisture. The floor comprises mainly of three layers- subfloor, Underlayment, and floor covering. Before installing the Underlayment and floor covering, make sure all subfloor surfaces are well done with primers. The main purpose of Underlayment is:
- Easy to use application
- Prevent growth of microorganisms
- The imperfection of the subfloor smoothens
- Adhesion for flooring is improved
- Count of labor is reduced
Factors affecting best Underlayment for vinyl plank flooring:
- Style of installation to be used like glue-down, floating, etc.,
- Specifications required for a specific product
- Sort of vinyl flooring using like plank vs. sheet etc.,
- Material of subfloor like concrete, wood, etc.,
Common Underlayment for Vinyl Flooring
- Cork- is absorbs sound and controls slight moisture issues. It resists mildew and mold
- Foam- it is less expensive when compared with other underlayments and can be used for subfloor made up of plywood; no moisture should be there as a mixture of foam and water is not good.
- Plywood- it is much stronger and goes well with water. It can handle all weights at one spot.
- Felt- helps in the issue of sound as it is much denser than foam. Since it is thin, it doesn’t provide much comfort.
- Particleboard is delicate and inexpensive. Not use it near any moisture, or else it will rot.
- Oriented standard board- not durable as others, when exposed to moisture, it starts swelling, so care should be taken about the floor to be dried.
Vinyl Plank flooring is one the most prominent fake wood flooring as it is affordable, waterproof, and resistant to scratch flooring. One can easily install it in a wood pattern as it comes in actual planks.
Benefits of Underlayment for vinyl plank flooring:
- Provides better comfort to the foot- it provides padding where you need it the most, your feet will feel less pain and tender at the end of the day.
- Reduction of sound to some extend- Underlayment reduces sound in large amounts and absorbs noise.
- Acts as a barrier for moisture- by using Underlayment, subfloors do not directly contact vinyl plank flooring.
- Prevent some of the colds- it acts as an insulation, and some of the colds are blocked out & you will not feel cold.
Now you know enough of the best Underlayment for vinyl plank flooring.